Wednesday, April 03, 2013

5/30 Before You Dream

5/30 Before You Dream


before you dream of me tonight, you must first know

that the strongest muscle in proportion to its size in the human body is the tongue

I once held mine in the roof of my mouth for almost a decade now I appreciate its power



and a person cannot taste food unless it is mixed with saliva

every time I see you my mouth dries to desert

I haven’t had a tasty meal in months



and your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks

otherwise it will digest itself and thirty-five percent of the people who

use personal ads for dating are already married

my biological father used to take me on dates with the woman

he cheated on my mother with

I have tried to find someone not you

but I do not trust the process

I’ve seen what cheating does

I want no part of it



did you know a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why

I have screamed to the sky in nightmares

no one stirred

maybe in my dream I was a Teal

waters churning

if I drowned

who would know those times

I woke heart pounding



and banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour

I’ve been losing weight steadily these past months and I have a little headache



If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days,

you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee

I start the day with at least two cups

for you I might consider switching to tea



butterflies taste with their feet

if I could forget the sound of my dad no longer breathing

maybe my hands wouldn’t shake so much

you once asked about my rings

I wear them to control the tremors



bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers,

and laser printers were all invented by women

I have a scar on my forehead

I don’t remember the impact

or the passing out just waking

with blood in my eye



honey is the only food that doesn't spoil

and most lipstick contains fish scales
the first time I kissed you
that night I dreamed oceans and mermaids



*Teal is a type of duck

No comments: